[ABBOT REGINALD'S] GATEWAY AT EVESHAM
Signed l.l., titled & dated l.r. Augt 19 / 59
33.1 x 24.2cm
Exhibited: Royal Watercolour Society, Summer, 1888;
Ernest Brown & Phillips, Leicester Galleries, London, Water-colours of William Callow, October - November 1907, cat. no. 50
Artist's Studio Sale, Christie's, London, 21.03.1910, Lot 11 (together with The Interior of Whitby Abbey);
Where purchased by Ernest Brown & Phillips Ltd., London for £3, 3s. ;
With Gerald M. Norman Gallery, London;
Anonymous Sale, Wooley & Wallis, Salisbury, 11.03.2015, Lot 371;
With Peppiatt Fine Art, London Private Collection, U.K.
The present work shows Abbot Reginald’s Gateway which is situated just off the Market Place in Evesham. St Nicholas’s Church is visible beyond with Walker Hall on the right. This on- the-spot sketch evidently dates from a tour of Worcestershire and the Wye area in the summer of 1859. Callow painted two further views of Evesham from this tour, one in watercolour (Summer Evening on the Avon at Evesham) and the other in oil (Entrance to the Close at Evesham). 
The trade sign to the upper right shows J Coulter, which was a local "Coach-Builder and Cycle & Motor Agents" - a business whose premises were at 10 Market Place which traded from 1850-1898, having been started by John Coulter and later taken on by his son William.
 Art Prices Current, Fine Art Trade Journal (London), Vol. IV, 1910-1911, p.156
 Cf. H.M. Cundall, William Callow, R. W. S., F. R. G. S., London (1908), pp.154, 164, 171