FIGURES IN A HEROIC LANDSCAPE
Bears late pencil inscriptions to mount Poussin
Watermarked with the Arms of Amsterdam
Pen & sepia ink with grey washes on wove paper
17.5 x 28.7 cm
Formerly in the Collection of Sir Jack Baer (1924-2016)
Glauber's drawings are characterised by their combination of Italianate sepia ink hatching & drawing to the background with the use of grey washes and ink to the foreground, much like his fellow Dutchman Abraham Rademaker. The present work can be compared to two drawings in the British Museum's collection in particular: A Landscape View (No. Ff,2.165), attributed both to Dughet and Glauber (the latter by Chiarini); Landscape with Figures & Italianate Buildings (Acc. No. 1930,0617.9); as well as A River Landscape (Museum of Fine Arts, Budapest, Inv. No. 1444); and Italianate Landscape with Figures resting by a Lake, offered at Sotheby's, Amsterdam, Old Master Drawings, 14.11.2006, Lot 106.
Glauber pursued art, according to Houbraken, against his Father's (the prominent Dutch chemist Johann Rudolph Glauber) wishes, and studied first under Nicolaes Berchem. As Berchem's apprentice he lived with Gerrit van Uylenburgh, the artist and later art dealer, who he worked with on copies of Italianate landscapes for the Amsterdam market. Following his training in the Dutch Republic, Glauber travelled to France for several years, painting for an art dealer in Paris and for Adriaen van der Kabel in Lyon. He and his brother Johannes Gottlieb travelled to Rome, where he swiftly became a member of the Schildersbent, a group of mainly Dutch and Flemish expatriate artists in Rome. He earned the nickname Polidoro, in recognition of his stylistic debt to Polidoro di Caravaggio (his other major influence being the landscapes of Gaspard Dughet).
After Rome, Glauber travelled with his brother to Padua, then to Venice and finally to Hamburg. Some time after 1864, Johannes finally left his brother to return to Amsterdam, where he lived with Gerard de Lairesse (another friend and artistic associate of the van Uylenburgh's) and worked primarily on wall decorations. He also collaborated with De Lairesse on landscape paintings. By his death, he had become a member of the Confrerie Pictura in the Hague, where he had settled sometime before 1687. Today he is best remembered for his landscape oils and a series of fourty etchings, showing heroic landscapes with classical figures and architecture as in the present work.